The mission of Thank a Service Member (TASM) is to "Honor the Service and Support the Needs" of the military men and women who have served our country and their families. We accomplish our mission through the development of programs that focus on awareness, community involvement, tributes and appreciation ceremonies, outreach programs, and education.
Thank a Service Member, Inc. is a 501 (c) (3) not-for-profit charity based in Central New York. Thank a Service Member was originally founded in 2006 as a grass roots initiative designed to educate the public and to support and show appreciation to the men and women who have served in the U.S military. The response to our campaign was overwhelming and in 2010 Thank a Service Member was incorporated as a not-for-profit and our programs were expanded.
Our programs are designed to provide creative solutions to the problems faced by active duty military, veterans, and their families. Public education and community involvement are critical to the success of these programs and we work hard to ensure these programs are correctly designed and properly supported. All of our campaigns are non-political and non-partisan.
- Military Appreciation Campaign (MAC). Our Military Appreciation Campaign focuses on one of the most important things we can do as a community: saying, “thank you”. Click here for more information.
- Community Education Programs and Events. We work hard to educate the public on everything from showing respect to the US Flag to critical issues affecting veterans of all ages.
- Scholarships for children of military veterans. Our scholarship program is designed to inspire and assist children of military veterans.
- Charity Outreach Program. We often work with other charities to develop or support programs. These collaborations have been very successful and have proven to be an effective and efficient way to reach a wider population while ensuring the focus of the mission remains intact.
- Veterans Reintegration and Employment. Our Veterans' Reintegration and Employment Program (VREP) focuses on providing critical linkages to a variety of supportive services and guiding veterans into meaningful employment within the labor force. Visit the program page to learn more.
Volunteering and Sponsorships
We are always looking for volunteers willing to become more involved. Volunteers are the driving force of this organization. Our ability to recruit and retain members who have the experience, dedication, energy, and passion necessary to manage the organization and it’s programs will be the key to our future success.
- Join an advisory committee or volunteer your skills or time - Our committee members and volunteers do a substantial amount of work and we can always use more!
- Advocate for us around your region through additional groups and agencies.
- Volunteer your time and skills towards one of our sponsored programs.
Sponsorships and underwriting of Thank A Service Member’s mission also help broaden our organization’s programs and outreach. If fact, our programs are supported solely through the generous support of the community - your tax-deductible donation is sincerely appreciated
Recent & Upcoming Events
Visit our News Page for Media Stories related to our events.
- July 27, 2013 Herkimer, NY, Military Appreciation Luncheon and Boat Cruise on the Erie Canal. Click here to view news story
- June 1, 2013 Clay, NY, TASM and Macy's honor distinguished veterans. Click here to view news story
- May 25, 2103 Fulton Memorial Day Parade. Event Photos
- April 29, 2013 West Palm Beach - VA Medical Center. Event Photos
Past Events and Tributes
Tributes & Poems
Displaying & Honoring the US Flag
Compiled when she was just 15 yrs. old this video by Lizzie Palmer is entitled "Remember Me "- click here to Watch Video
Tribute to Wounded Service Members and Veterans - click here to Watch Video
Make a Donation
- “Any nation that does not honor its heroes will not long endure” – Abraham Lincoln
- “I remain humbled today by the youngsters who volunteer to serve our country during a time of war in a society that often does not understand or value their view of service to country” – Major General Oates in an essay in Central New York Magazine May/June 2008.
- "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher
- The purpose of all war is peace. - Saint Augustine, 354-430
- Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. - General George Patton Jr
- Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan
- Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore, do not take lightly the perils of war. - Thucydides
- "We can't all be Washington's, but we can all be patriots." - Charles F. Browne
- "Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations, may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong!" - Steven Decatur
- "When I die, I desire no better winding sheet than the Stars and Stripes, and no softer pillow than the Constitution of my country." - Andrew Johnson
- "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty." - John F. Kennedy
- "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln
- "We must always remember that America is a great nation today not because of what government did for people but because of what people did for themselves and for one another." - Richard Nixon
- My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! - Thomas Jefferson
- "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." - The Pledge Of Allegiance
- "Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood - the virtues that made America." - Teddy Roosevelt
- "I venture to suggest that patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." - Adali Stevenson
- "The things that the flag stands for were created by the experiences of a great people. Everything that it stands for was written by their lives. The flag is the embodiment, not of sentiment, but of history." - Woodrow Wilson
- "Sure, I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure, I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." - John Wayne
- There are those, I know, who will say that the liberation of humanity, the freedom of man and mind, is nothing but a dream. They are right. It is the American dream. - Archibald MacLeish
- This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. - Elmer Davis
- And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. - Lee Greenwood
- If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. - Author Unknown
- Where liberty dwells, there is my country. - Benjamin Franklin
- We sleep peacefully at night, cradled by the big strong hands of America. - Val Saintsbury
- "Our country, right or wrong." When right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right. - Carl Schurz
- We have enjoyed so much freedom for so long that we are perhaps in danger of forgetting how much blood it cost to establish the Bill of Rights. - Felix Frankfurter